Sunday, May 10, 2015

Delectable Journey in the Philippines

filipino food
Image from: iclipart.com

Why do I travel? – a personal question that even I cannot answer. For a self-confessed wanderlust, I love the idea of booking a ticket, packing my bag and getting lost in a country (or city) unknown to me. I love the idea of stumbling upon petty misfortunes that turn into memories. In other words, I love to experience the many complexities of life.

In the Philippines, I am no different. Born and raised in one of the riches city in the country, I am lucky to have experienced a mixture of local and foreign influences that molded me to be the wanderlust that I am today. I see things in many different angles. Same goes with my food preference, Philippine cuisine, for me, is a historical mixture of delicious moments meant to be shared.

Just like, say, the adobo. For most of us, it's a typical braised chicken or pork stewed with vinegar and soy sauce to create a medley of flavors. On my end, I see it as an opportunity for us, Filipinos, to showcase our ability to mix and match flavors.

Imagine, a simple recipe of adobo has many versions. From all corners of the country, you will surely find a recipe that speaks of the city or town that you are in. We have the vinegar-soy sauce adobo then there's the ginataang adobo and then the chicken and pork adobo. Although the ingredients are the same, the variation usually is because of the local staple found in the locality.

It's not like we do not have an identity of our own when it comes to food, cooking and eating. We do. In all truth, we do. It's just that we want to make a mark of our own. In other words, we want to customize everything and call it our own. Our ingenuity pushes us to be creative in everything we do – even in our food.

Everywhere you go, you'll be treated to an extensive menu of gastronomically enticing dishes that are truly “Pinoy”. From the appetizer to the main dish to the dessert, you'll be in an adventure the moment you take a bite. This is not an exageration – this is the truth that everyone can attest to!

So, why do I travel?  Simple. I travel to satisfy my craving for a gastronomic adventure that only Philippine cuisine can give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment